We are seeking a proactive, detail-oriented and organized office manager who wants to take ownership of the day-to-day operations of a small startup. You will be an integral part of the team and will be entrusted with all the things that Winterlight needs to continue to be a functional and well-adjusted company as we grow and expand. This is a generalist role that covers multiple disciplines, with opportunity for growth; you will be given the time and resources to master each area.
Role & Responsibilities
- Maintain the shared spaces of the office, greet visitors, work with outside vendors/service providers (e.g. cleaning staff), and generally keep the place running smoothly.
- Liaise with the building owner to handle all building-related matters.
- Be mindful of possible everyday improvements to existing guidelines, policies and the office in general.
- Keep a consistent decor and atmosphere in the office. Thoughtfully help to furnish the office and ensure that our plants survive.
- Purchase snacks, supplies and equipment. In addition, track and catalogue our equipment inventory.
- Once per week, roll and empty the garbage bin onto the curb for collection.
- Work with the team to help establish budgets and track operational expenses.
- Research and book flights and accommodations for employee work-related travel.
- Help coordinate and optimize meetings, with extra care paid towards making sure that remote employees feel included.
- Troubleshoot basic problems with IT equipment (e.g. printers, video conferencing equipment, etc).
- Organize paper and digital files to make sure that everything is in a logical place.
- Assist in planning small-scale events (e.g. a holiday party) and team building activities.
- Be part of the human resources team. Support hiring efforts (e.g. posting jobs), coordinate employee onboarding and assist in policy generation.
- As time allows, help with other areas such as marketing or bookkeeping.
- At least 1 year of previous experience of working in an office environment.
- Care and attention to detail.
- Able to anticipate the needs of the company and act decisively to take steps to fulfill those needs.
- Able to multi-task across multiple disciplines. Being able to effectively prioritize tasks and having a strong desire to learn are necessary.
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving and willingness to getting their hands dirty when necessary.
- An aptitude for technology. At minimum, must have proficiency with modern productivity tools like Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to lift 9 kg (20 lb).
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced, startup environment.
Nice To Haves
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher; or equivalent.
- An interest in technology, research or healthcare.
- A knack for plant care.
- Enjoys home organization.
Winterlight Labs is a fast growing startup based in Toronto that is developing digital biomarkers to measure neurological and psychiatric conditions. Our machine learning based technology analyzes both the acoustics and content of speech and language, to help identify disease and quantify its severity. We work with life science companies, academia, and senior care companies to improve clinical trials, quality of care, and health outcomes.